Udacity is a well-known powerful digital education platform whose mission is to train career-oriented people with the tech skills and knowledge that companies demand. They teach lessons with pre-recorded videos, quizzes, tests, and other materials.
Courses and lessons are for the technical side of the business that is focused on artificial intelligence, computer science, and business. You can sign-up for a multitude of free courses to help kick-start your learning or brush up on a subject.
Should you feel you need more advanced learning, then Udacity offers many Nanodegree courses that come with a fee. These paid Nanodegree courses are more in-depth and are certified, which makes it a great achievement to add to your resume.
A Nanodegree Certificate is an important document to accomplish for students that want to advance into a technical career of their choice. A Nanodegree is specific to Computer sciences like programming and AI. Nanodegree are only available Online and Udacity is well-known as a Nanodegree platform taught by experts that supports students with certificates and scholarships. Udacity provides the latest video skill training with hands-on projects that help students apply their skills as they learn them.
Leadership at Udacity
They have an extensive team of executives to help students excel in tech knowledge that teaches a range of difficulty levels from beginner, intermediate to advanced from less than a month to over 3 months.
Nanodegree Programs Taught at Udacity
Udacity teaches a wide range of technical skills, with each categorized into 9 program topics: artificial intelligence, autonomous systems, business, career, cloud computing, cybersecurity, data science, product management, programming, and development
- Artificial Intelligence- there are 17 topics to choose from: Machine Learning Engineer for Microsoft Azure, AI for Health care, Intro to Machine Learning with Tensor Flow, AI Product Manager, Intro to Machine Learning with PyTorch, AI Programming with Python, Artificial Intelligence for Trading, Computer Vision, Artificial Intelligence, AI Engineer using Microsoft Azure, and more
- Autonomous Systems- there are 7 topics that include: Intro to Self-Driving Cars, Robotics Software Engineer, C++, Flying Car and Autonomous Flight Engineer, Self-Driving Car Engineer, Sensor Fusion Engineer, and Digital Freelancer
- Business- you have a choice of 13 topics to choose from: Agile Software Development, Data Science for Business Leaders, Data Product Manager, SQL, AI for Business Leaders, Product Manager, Business Analytics, Marketing Analytics, Digital Marketing, Digital Freelancer, and more.
- Career- there are 12 topics that help prepare for a job in the career of your choice: Product Manager Interview Preparation, Craft Your Cover Letter, Refresh Your Resume, Strengthen Your LinkedIn Network & Brand, Data Science Interview Prep, Android Interview Prep, Machine Learning Interview Preparation, Front-End Interview Prep, Full-Stack Interview Prep, Data Structures & Algorithms in Swift, iOS Interview Prep, and VR Interview Prep
- Cloud Computing- students have 11 to choose from Cloud DevOps Engineer, Cloud Developer, AWS Cloud Architect, Cloud DevOps using Microsoft Azure, Cloud Developer using Microsoft Azure, Hybrid Cloud Engineer, Cloud Computing for Business Leaders, and more
- Cybersecurity- there are 6 topics to choose from: Introduction to Obscurity, Security Analyst, Security Engineer, Enterprise Security, Security Architect, and Ethical Hacker
- Data Science- you have a choice of 16 topics to choose from: Data Science for Business Leaders, Data Product Manager, SQL, Data Streaming, Business Analytics, Programming for Data Science with R, Data Scientist, Data Visualization, Data Analyst, Programming for Data Science with Python, Predictive Analytics For Business, Data Engineer, and more.
- Product Management- there are 7 topics to choose from: Product Manager, AI Product Manager, Data Product Manager, Agile Software Development, UX Designer, Digital Freelancer, and Growth Product Manager
- Programming and Development- you will find 24 NONODEGREE topics like Front-End Web Developer, Full Stack Web Developer, Java Developer, Cloud Developer, Cloud DevOps Engineer, C++, Data Structures and Algorithms, Data Engineer, Introduction to Programming iOS Developer, Java Programming, Digital Freelancer, and more.
You can find all course topics in their Catalogue.
Duration of Udacity courses
The length of courses varies from less than a month to over 3-months. When you click on a course of interest, it will give you information on how long you should expect to complete the course.
When choosing an Udacity Course
You can find a detailed description of each course that is labeled Nanodegree or Free.
- Title of Course
- Difficulty Level from Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced
- Length of course
- Number of reviews and how many star ratings were given by students
- Skills Covered- this informs you what skills you should expect to learn
- Prerequisites- before taking the course you will be informed if other courses are required first
- Download Syllabus- there is a download button that includes a small e-booklet giving students more detail on the course. It comprises an overview of the course, what students should know before continuing, what students will learn during the course, course project subjects and information that you will buy lesson, classroom experiences with world projects, knowledge, workspaces, quizzes, custom study plans, progress tracker. You will get pictures, names, and titles of the experts that were involved with the course creation and their brief bio. Plus Course-specific Frequently Asked Questions.
Udacity Learners Path
This gives a student guidance on what courses to take and when. They have a list of topics that you can click on and get more details on how to achieve the education you want for that topic.
Topics such as Mobile Development, Android Development, Web Development, Front End Development, Full Stack Development, Deep Learning, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Self-Driving Cars, Robotics, Data Science, Data Analysis, Marketing, and others.
Choosing the topic leads you to an overview, program timing, skills to learn, instructors, Pre-requisite, pricing, experts, reviews, and related Nanodegree programs.
FREE NON-NANODEGREE Courses
Students have a choice of around 200 free courses between beginners, intermediate, and advanced courses.
- Free Beginner courses include Networking for Web Developers, Intro to Physics, Intro to Cloud, Computing, Intro to Data Analysis, Problem Solving with Advanced Analytics, and more.
- Free Intermediate courses include Cloud-Native Fundamentals, Artificial Intelligence, A/B Testing, Introduction to Computer Vision, Rapid Prototyping, Product Design, and more
Selections are extensive at each difficulty level, which helps build your skills as you advance from whatever stage you are at.
Udacity courses consists of 21-Beginner Nanodegree courses, 37-Intermediate Nanodegree courses, and 18-Advanced Nanodegree courses selections.
Course topics are:
- Android Development
- Android Studio
- Artificial Intelligence
- Business Strategy
- Career Advancement
- Computer Vision
- Continuous Integration
- Control Flow
- Data Analysis
- Data Dashboards
- Data Modeling
- Data Science
- Data Structures
- Data Visualization
- Data Wrangling
- Deep Learning
- Excel & Spreadsheets
- Game Development
- Git & GitHub
- Interview practice
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Machine Learning
- Memory Management
- Natural Language Processing
- Neural Networks
- Numpy & Pandas
- Object-oriented Programming
- Pandas & NumPy
- Product Design
- Product Management
- Product Strategy
- Reinforcement Learning
- Relational and Non-Relational Databases
- Software Engineering
- Supervised Learning
- Unsupervised Learning
- User Research
- Variables and Constants
- Window Functions
Udacity courses give students a boost up in skills otherwise difficult to get online. They are practical as they apply to today’s working world needs and expectations. Videos are provided with subtitles and are available in other languages.
The length of courses varies from less than a month to over 3 months and is self-pacing although they do give you a timeframe as to how long it will take to complete the course and how many hours a week you should plan for.
Udacity Price Packages
Learning for free is exceptional. Even if you don’t receive a certificate, it still helps you skill in and consider advancing further with paid courses that complement what the free course taught.
Udacity Nanodegree Pricing
Prices range from Free to over $1,000
Nanodegree programs start at $399/month
Pricing is offered with 2 options of which you can cancel anytime.
Monthly Access is a pay-as-you-go option in which you pay for a month at a time.
Best Value option- pay upfront and save 15%
Students that enroll will receive 1-month free access to one Nanodegree program…up to a limit of 3 per student
Monthly subscriptions: 1st payment is due 30-days after enrollment
Students that enroll in a multi-month bundle will get 50% off
If you signed up for a Nanodegree Program but change your mind for whatever reason, you have the first 2-days to get a full refund, but just once. This means if you later sign-up for another program and change your mind, you do not get a refund. Those that are outside of the US and Canada may receive a refund fourteen (14) days after a non-zero payment is due. Monthly subscriptions can be canceled anytime. Unfortunately, there are no free trials.
Udacity’s Market Leader Support
Udacity is supported by trusted market leaders such as Airbus, Toyota, Shell, Microsoft, U.S. Air Force, Accenture, and more.
Udacity Instructors & Mentors
Expert instructors from Fortune 500 and Global 2000 companies put together relevant teaching content to help students learn what is needed for businesses today.
Mentors that are hired have completed a Nanodegree program and before they are hired, they must go through a 5-step hiring process to ensure Udacity hires the best mentors that provide quality service to their students.
They have over 1,400 mentors available 24/7 to help motivate you and keep you on track. Response time to your questions is on average around 1-hour. They will provide personal feedback after re-viewing your questions and project submissions.
Projects are based on real-world scenarios with a hands-on learning approach with tech skills critical thinking.
Scholarships at Udacity
Udacity has 10 scholarship programs in 48 countries from industry leaders, Googles, AT&T, Lyft, and Accenture.
A certificate is given to students who successfully completed a Nanodegree. Adding it to your resume is a great note of accomplishment that will attract future employers or even help advance your career and revenue in your current job.
Udacity provides support after course completion. The career programs are all free. They will help students with their resumes, cover letters, prepping for interviews, and more.
Udacity for Enterprises
Businesses that need to invest in their employees’ skills and knowledge can take advantage of Udacity’s Enterprise program, which helps employees close gaps on digital technical know-how in data science, ML, Cloud, cybersecurity, and more.
Udacity – For Government
Udacity for nations creates job opportunities with a GDP impact by encompassing the global technological era.
Udacity for federal eliminates talent gaps and creates job-ready expertise in mission-critical technological initiatives.
Tailor-made programs are designed by experts to help deliver next-level business results. They design a program that by aligning organizational goals and defines workforce strategies in line with individual experiences and teaching material that helps increase retention and employee productivity.
Udacity Pros & Cons:
|Collaborates with industry leaders||Can be expensive|
|Content created by experts||Free course has no certificates|
|Courses available for all difficulty levels||no mobile app|
|free courses||Pricey Nanodegree programs|
|Large selection of courses|
Trustpilot review: 4.8 stars out of 5: 87% of Users find Udacity Excellent
Udacity’s Website Student Reviews:
- Coursera- an online degree program that advances an individual’s career to the next level and enhances an enterprise’s workforce. Degrees are available for online MBA and Business, Computer Science and Engineering, Data Science, Public Health, Top European Universities, Management, Data Analytics, and Social Sciences.
- Pluralsight- an online platform that teaches skills and hands-on experience in software development, IT ops, Info & cyber security, Cloud Computing, Machine learning/ AI, and Data Professional
- LinkedIn Learning- is an online platform that teaches over 16,000 in-demand skills taught by real-world professionals. Software topics include:
- HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®)
- Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office
- NASBA Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
- Office 365
- Power BI
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM®)
Question: Is Udacity an accredited educational institution?
Answer: No, Udacity is not an accredited educational institution.
Question: Can students take a Nanodegree program even if they have no program experience?
Answer: Yes. Udacity offers programs for beginners that have had not experienced it before. The beginner programs set the foundation to advance to intermediate and advanced programs that lead to a career that requires programming skills.
Question: Are there course textbooks?
Answer: No, textbooks are not required for Udacity courses. Udacity will recommend additional helpful resources and books but does not require their students to purchase learning material for their courses.
Question: Can a student enroll in over one Udacity program at the same time?
Answer: Yes, a student can enroll in over one course at one time, but it is not recommended.
Udacity courses require serious commitment time because they are intensive. It’s recommended to enroll and focus on one course at a time until completion.
I feel Udacity is worth the time and effort. They are self-pacing and you can learn anywhere, anytime. They provide an extensive quantity of Free courses that are taught by experts and more advanced Nanodegree courses designed for beginners, intermediates, and advanced students. Pricing for the Nanodegree courses is reasonable and students are given a time frame when they need to be completed. Getting a Nanodegree is an asset to add to your resume and leads you to more career opportunities.
Udacity has competition, but they are known more worldwide than most, which may attract the attention of potential job recruiters.
I think it is worth checking out Udacity courses, at least the free ones to test-drive, to see if it is a right fit for you.